Free Inkle Loom Plans

Hello again… First let me say thanks to anyone still checking in on my blog.  It seems this has been my year for things to happen.   Perhaps things will lighten up soon.  Meanwhile…

I’ve had several requests for the plans for my floor inkle loom. There are 14 yards of ribbon on the loom in this picture.  It seems the plans I used for my inspiration are no longer available.  Soooo…. this morning I sat down and drew out my loom.  It isn’t the best in the world and is definitely not to scale, but maybe it will work…

This plan is free to be used in any way you want… Go for it.. ;o)  Just click on the picture below and print it off…

Have a great week end… ;o)

About these ads

About Linda S.

Retired Grandma living in North Central Texas and enjoying being able to spend my time with all my many crafting interests.
This entry was posted in Card Weaving, Crafts, Creative Commons, Free Patterns, Handcraft, Handwork, Historical Textile, Inkle Weaving, Tablet Weaving, Tutorials, Weaving, Woodworking. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Free Inkle Loom Plans

1. Elfreda says:

Very cool! I love that it’s got such a great capacity – seems like I always need to do 10 yards or more. I see you’re decorating it, too! :-)

Thanks for taking the time to draw this up and post it.
    Elfreda
    from the SCA card weaving list

2. Conandil says:

That is impressive!

Conandil

3. Elyscia says:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I can’t wait to give this a try.
    Elyscia
    also from the SCA card weaving list

4. Linda says:

Thanks for the kind comments… ;o) Hope you give this a try.

5. Valgardr says:

Like the loom. I made a floor loom years ago but I like some of the design elements from yours better. Mine only did about 9 yards.

6. Stripey says:

Now that is an impressive loom. You said you can weave up to 14 yards length, but I’m curious as to how wide it will weave up to easily? Or if the plans could be modified to include longer pegs without compromising the balance. *ponder*

When I get more room I might just build a floor loom similar to this. Thanks for sharing the pattern. :)

7. grimmhildr says:

I’m impressed. Enough to want to make one of my own. Hope you don’t mind but I passed the link to this on to a few more tablet and inkle weaving friends.

carol/Grimm
    from the SCA tablet weaving list.

8. Linda S. says:

Thank you, Carol… I’m happy for you to spread it to anyone you would like. Nothing would make me happier than to have everyone tablet weaving in the same way lots of people today knit. It’s such a wonderful craft. ;o)

9. This is epic. Thanks for sharing

10. Snow Cronan says:

love the loom and plan on making one. But I must ask, what are you use as the heddles? it looks like a foam square?

11. Linda S. says:

Hello Snow Cronan… I use this loom for card weaving. The cards are threaded for pattern and then turned to change the shed which in turn changes the color of the warp. The design is warp faced and makes beautiful patterns. Or.. it can be threaded as an inkle loom. Actually, there is enough working room that you could use a small heddle if you would prefer. I have made my own heddle from oak, but I think I will make another of popsicle sticks since the oak is quite heavy. I hope this has answered your question. :o)

12. Keith says:

Hi Linda,
    You mentioned you’d make the loom 1 1/2″ lower if you had it to do over again. I propose that you can lower the loom you have by doing the following:
    1) Remove the 1×4 feet from the bottom of the loom. Note this removes the thickness of the feet from the height off the ground. I’ll get to reattaching them in a second.
    2) Remove 3/4″ or so (saw, router, whatever) off the entire length of the bottom board, the one with all the pegs in it. This drops the height further by that amount.
    3) Somewhat more could be taken off should you wish – it’s built like a tank. Lather, rinse, repeat until you like the height of the loom.
    4) Reattach two of the three lateral stabilizing feet thusly: place them so that a 1 side contacts the floor and a 4 side is vertical and butted against the bottom board’s end. Use lag screws, or t-nuts or what ever else strikes your fancy to make the attachments. There is not much torque for the stabilizer feet to handle, so going into the bottom board’s endgrain is sufficient.
    Regards,
    -K

13. Caristiona says:

Thank you, I used this pattern to make my own loom yesterday. I now have it partially warped up with a 6m warp. It is fantastic.

14. Klayr Clark says:

This is probably going to be a silly question, but I’m new to inkle weaving, and I’m not seeing a measurement for the length of the pegs. Can they be any length? Do they get wobbly if they are too long? I would guess that the threads would fall off easily if they were too short, but how short is too short? Thanks!