Yesterday I spent some time in the shop. Always enjoy shop time. DH came out and helped me cut some blanks and after I had drawn it onto an oak board, he also cut the lucet out for me on the band saw. Clockwise from the center left are: nalbinding needle blanks, fingerweaving rods, Dremel (that I found I knew nothing about..grin), lucet, spindle shaft blank, toy wheel for spindle whorl.
I had already worked for quite a while on the lucet with the Dremel sander before the picture was taken. It is quite small…about 1 1/2 in. wide with the center working area of about 3/4 in. The fingerweaving rods had nothing left to do to them except sand the ends. I got about half done with a nalbinding needle and realized it was just not going to work, so decided they would be put off until today. The spindle shaft needed only to have a rounded point put on it and to be sanded a bit to fit into the toy wheel shaft.
Today will be finish work… I think I will paint or dye everything except the lucet and the spindle shaft. The fingerweaving rods are used in twos, so I think I will do sets in different colors. There is still considerable sanding to be done to the lucet, but I think after that is done I will do a bit of small floral painting on each side, then seal it with something. Since this is oak, I’m not sure how I will do the final finish since I really like to see the grain of the wood.
The lucet works well. I had to grow accustomed to the small working area, but when I did it turned out really well. The small width turns easily in my hand and winds the finished cord with no problems. It still needs some sanding and and finishing, but I am quite pleased that I managed to get a wonderful, workable lucet our of 1 3/4 in. wide oak.
I know I’m an impatient child, but I could not wait to get it completely finished before I tried it out. The cording for the nalbound bag is finished and in place.