I did some Kool Aid dyeing on Thursday of some 3 ply merino that I’ve had hangin’ out in my basket, waiting for me to get around to dying it. There was also some “yarn surprise” that I had taken off several spindles, so I just dyed it too…the red and yellow in the pic to the right. It is a mix of some Corriedale, Icelandic and Merino and is double plied..Andean. The 3ply merino is the lovliest mint green..love that. I guess you’re wondering what this has to do with woven pouches…?? Well, this is what I used to embroider on one of them. I would really like
to keep this pouch made of only my handspun and handwoven yarns… may not be totally possible, especially since I am considering a zipper closure..
Anyway…on to the woven pouches..
The small pouch on the left was woven on the small tapestry loom that my DH put together for me. It began life as a small experiment to see if I could tell the difference between different ways of applying the warp and the beating technique… Then I decided to try some red yarn to see if it would hold if not used as a complete warp. It did hold…hmmm
The fabric when removed from the loom was about 4 inches wide. The side seams leave the pouch 3 1/2 inches wide. I thought perhaps I would use it for my nalbinding needles and tapestry needles…but it really is too small. They may have to move on to the larger pouch, but I like the idea of the fold over the top, so I may just have to make another one in a larger size.
The larger pouch on the right is the one made with the pocket weaving cardboard loom that weaves in a tube… no seams except the hem at the top. The embroidery work is done and it is now waiting for me finish it with beads and a closure…