Card Weaving Looms

I was watching a video on You Tube showing how to card weave. Today I cannot for the life of me find it again.  Anyway… The simple loom that was used in that video was wonderful.  So… I made me one.  Then I decided to decorate it with the instructions on how to use it.  Here it is….

I am now making 15 looms for a class that I will teach in June at the Red River Historical Museum in Sherman, TX.  This loom is exceptionally easy to make with a 1×4 piece of lumber, a 1″ dowel, some sand paper and 14 wood screws, 6 eye screws.  It can be as long as you want it and the side pieces can be as tall as you want it.  Mine is 34″ long with side pieces 5″ tall. The eye screws are placed at each end (as shown in the 2nd photo of my personal loom).  This is to tie your warp to as you work.  There are eye hooks on each end, but I have found that weights on my warp work really well with this loom.

My personal loom has instructions for threading the cards S or Z and several patterns woodburned and then painted with acrylic paints on it. On the bottom I have drawn a picture of the loom with the card weaving in place, signed and dated it.  It was then stained with golden oak stain and a finish coat of polyurethane was applied to seal everything.

The teaching looms will be a little more plain.  They are painted and on the side pieces I have painted the looms in sets of 3 with 5 different flowers in different colors.  This way I can place the different flowers next to each other and make it easier for the students to find their loom after breaks… i.e. red rose, dahlia, lilac, purple rose, violet…then start the rotation over again.

When I first used this loom, I found that it wanted to slip and slide all over.  The perfect solution is this… “rubber” shelf liner.  This will be cut to fit and hot glued on the bottom of all my looms.  Works like a charm…

I want to thank everyone who has stuck with me over the last few months.  We have lost my sister in May, my stepfather in June and my brother in January.  You’re champs for hanging in there with me.. ;o)

If you need more info on how to build this loom just let me know and I will draw it off.

Advertisements

About Linda S.

Retired Grandma living in North Central Texas and enjoying being able to spend my time with all my many crafting interests.
This entry was posted in Card Weaving, Crafts, Free Patterns, Handcraft, Handwork, Historical Textile, Tablet Weaving, Teaching, Weaving, Woodworking. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Card Weaving Looms

1. Michael says:

Cool! You’ll be right up the road from me – I’m in Dallas.

2. Linda says:

Hi Michael… if I had my way we would be neighbors…lol

3. Valgardr says:

I like the patterns on the loom. For the patterns we use all the time or use in classes we started creating laminated sheets with the card threading and weaving patterns on them.

4. carolyn says:

i would love for you to tell me how to build my own card loom.

5. Keri says:

Hello, I am brand new to card weaving and would like to build the loom as shown on your websight. Would you send me the plans? Also how to use the eye loops would be great. The instructions I have now call for a lap band, and I am not having great success with it. Thank you.

6. Linda S. says:

Carolyn and Keri… I will try to put the plans up tomorrow for this particular loom.. ;o)

7. Karen Lothrop says:

Hi I would love to make a loom I get really tired standing up and hunched over a table with clamps.
    Thanks

Karen

8. Pamela says:

Hi, this is such a great idea, I live in South Africa, i am partially sighted and using crutches to get around, i was searching the internet for something to do, because i am so bored, i love embroidery and tapestry but due to my eye sight i will not be able to do it, so i thought of looms, i have found many different types of looms all over the world except in South Africa, this will be a great idea for me to try.
    Pamela

9. Cheryl says:

Hi Linda! Are the plans for this little loom posted somewhere? I’d really like to try and put one together. Thanks!

Cheryl

10. Anita T says:

Hi,
    I have been looking far and wide for plans of how to make a simple card weaving loom and you seems to have one. Would you please post the plans how to make one?
    Anita

11. Linda S. says:

Hi Anita… The plans to this loom are already posted. Here is the url…. https://fabricfolliestwo.wordpress.com/2010/08/09/spinning-in-the-heat-the-second-tw-class-and-free-tw-loom-plans/

Hope you enjoy it.

12. Nichole says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGC7zPtCvZ4 is the video you were looking for this one? either way this one was way more helpful than others I saw, and the guy even dubbed it.

13. Mike M says:

Your plans mention a 3/4 inch dowel go into the 7/8 inch hole in the uprights. Is that a typo or is that correct?

14. Linda S. says:

Hi Mike, It’s been a while now since I made these. I think a 7/8′ spade bit was all we had on hand to use. I sanded the dowels to fit and then used carpenter’s glue and screws to make sure everything was secure. This is the most forgiving plan a person could ask for. You can use whatever size looks and feels the best for you…
    Thank you for your interest.. Linda.. ;o)

15. Patty Adams says:

Hi
    I’m also new to card weaving and would love a copy of your plans to build my own loom.
    Thanks in advance

16. dee Bowman says:

Hi… I just found you today and it was a gift from heaven,,, I would love a copy of the plans to build my card loom… for some reason I couldn’t understand how to thread in S and Z.. when I looked at the posting a light went off.. how fabulous you are… the other thing I couldn’t understand was how to determine turning the cards forward or backward… HELP please..

17. I know it’s been a long time, but is your offer to share a drawn plan for this loom still available? Thanks. Oh!! Look at my name – Lynda S. Also a retired granny – in PA
    🙂