The gray and brown are New Zealand wool. I have no idea what sheep breed, but it is a little scratchier than merino. The gray is a Navajo ply.. 3 ply chain.. and was spun on the Ashford Elizabeth. I found it a little faster and a bit harder to treadle than my Kromski, but all in all a wonderful spinning wheel. There is about 800 yards (combined) of a bulky knit from those two.
The green is the merino sent by my son and daughter in law from Earth Guild. Having never ordered from Earth Guild, I was wondering how this would spin up. I have to say that it is luscious. (Spinning the peach color now and it is even more luscious. I could hold that batch in my arms and sleep with it!) This is 3 ply yarn (not Navajo plied) and finished out at 444 yards.
The yellow is merino is from Ozark Mills in Durant. It’s wonderfully soft… so soft that spinning it was almost like spinning cotton! The 2 ply yarn was then dyed with a yellow Kool Aid. This was spun on the Kromski Prelude which is still my favorite wheel with its smooth and easy treadling. I can’t remember the exact amount of this, but I think it is in the ball park of 250 yards.
Have no idea what to make with this yarn… Suggestions anyone?
The 3rd tablet weaving class is coming up and I’ve not even blogged the second one.. ;o( The second class was terrific. The ladies were fun and we did a lot of laughing in this class. In this class we used 4 cards and made shoestrings. The two color strings are great for school colors for kids starting back to school.
The last tablet weaving class will be Saturday, August 21 at the Red River Historical Museum. As always, the class will begin at 9:30am and continue until 12:30pm. I you are anywhere near to Sherman, you are cordially invited to come and join us… ;o)
I’ve had several requests for the actual plans for the loom we are using in the class. I have drawn it off and here it is.. ;o) In the explanations for this plan I have used the word I very often…in truth it should be we. My sweet DH was wonderful in helping with all of these.
Cut from one end 4 pieces that are 5 or 6 inches long. You can either use the length that is left as is or cut it to whatever length is most comfortable for to weave on. Mine is 34″ long.
The next thing I did is totally optional. I cut 7/8 ” holes in these 4 pieces 1/2 inch from the top and centered on the upright. These are to fit the
3/4″ inch dowel. The dowel is cut into 4 pieces 4 1/4″ long.
Everything is now sanded until it is smooth enough that yarn will not catch on it. If you want to paint it, now is the time to do it. I also used two coats of polyurethane to protect the painted finish. When this is done and everything is totally dry you can begin to put it together.
Using carpenters glue on the end of the 3/4 inch x 4″ dowels, place them in either in the holes cut for them or just where you want them. They need to be in the upper half of the 4″x6″ upright. I pre-drilled holes and then used wood screws to secure the dowels in place. Prepare both sets of uprights in this way.
Place the sets of uprights at the very end of the 34″ long 1″x4″ with the uprights placed on each side of the board and the dowel spanning the board. I pre-drilled for 3 screws on each side, then used wood screws to hold them in place. Repeat this process at the other end of the board.
Screw 2 or 3 eyelet screws into each end of the 34″ long base board.
Sit back and admire your new loom.. ;o)
If you make one of these looms, I would love to see a picture of it… and some feedback on how it works out for you.
Stay cool.. Smile lots.. ;o)